Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to be our best, individually and collectively. By collecting and preserving artifacts and stories of our diverse history, MOHAI highlights our regional tradition of innovation and imagination. Through compelling exhibits, scholarship, education, public programs, and community engagement, MOHAI bridges the past, present, and future. MOHAI is a place and a community of people with histories of successes and failures that: bind us together; amuse, disturb, and inspire us; inform and guide us; and deepen our connection with our heritage.
Position Title: Volunteer and Education Office Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Education
Location: MOHAI, at Lake Union Park’s historic Armory building
Pay Rate: $20-22 per hour, DOE, 37.5 hours a week
Classification: Full-time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
Benefits include: Medical and dental insurance and eligible for participation in 403 (b) savings plan
Position Start Date: June 28, 2021
The primary role of the Volunteer and Education Office Coordinator is to coordinate the volunteer program and provide general administrative coordination to the Education department in their mission to present high-quality programming and educational experiences. This individual also contributes and participates in reaching the overall education/museum goals and projects. The Volunteer and Education Office Coordinator is a member of the Education Department.
Education Office Coordinator Key Responsibilities:
- Perform general administration tasks for Education departments including scheduling and maintaining the calendars, related website content, files, documentation, and department metrics and data.
- Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- Handle scheduling and registrations for school and youth programs, including field trips, summer camps, portable museum rentals, etc. and related correspondence with outside clients and partners.
- Update and maintain Blackbaud Altru database to accurately capture education and youth programs’ metrics, records, and information.
- Process and reconcile transactions including department expenses, invoicing and payment for all school and youth programs, using Blackbaud Altru database.
- Oversee inventory and maintenance of education items, including portable museums, gallery backpacks and education iPads.
- Respond to incoming requests and general inquiries from the public, educators, school administrators, museum partners, etc.
- Provide Education department budget support – including data entry, tracking, status and reporting.
- Support the Director of Education in collecting, tracking, aggregating, and managing department metrics.
- Create, implement, and document education client surveys.
- Interact collaboratively in the course of duties with other museum departments such as Exhibits, Advancement, Visitor Services, and Accounting Office.
- Provide periodic support for Education activities- light facilitation of drop-in activities, summer camp break coverage.
- Assist with inventory and maintenance of education items, including portable museums, gallery backpacks, and education tablets.
- Opportunity to serve on IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility) Committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
Volunteer Coordinator Key Responsibilities:
- Promote and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the organization and survey staff regularly to assess needs for volunteer assistance.
- Recruit and screen applicants for volunteer work, in tandem with department manager and Human Resources.
- Handle communication and correspondence regarding volunteering to prospective volunteers and staff.
- Conduct basic volunteer orientation/training.
- Work with the Visitor Services Assistant Manager schedule volunteers to support various museum departments.
- Work with Human Resources on volunteer policies, procedures, volunteer service descriptions for volunteer assignments and standards of volunteer service.
- Maintain accurate records and provide timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation.
- Serve as point person for volunteers to resolve grievances and promote cooperation and interest.
- Work with other key staff (including Director of Education, Human Resources) to determine recognition of volunteers.
- Two years of experience in administration or related field, non-profit experience preferred.
- Exceptional customer service, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Dependable, punctual, friendly and authoritative with professional and clear communication skills and phone demeanor.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability and experience to work accurately and effectively with CRM or ticketing/scheduling software; knowledge of Blackbaud’s Altru software preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience and/or interest in working with both youth and adults in an informal education setting.
- Familiarity/experience working with volunteers, teachers and/or the public school system a plus.
- Ability to engage with a variety of individuals in difficult and challenging situations.
- Able to work occasional evening and weekend hours.
- Possess or willing to acquire CPR (including child and infant) and First Aid certification.
- Bilingual and multilingual skills valued.
- Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
For nearly 80 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI now operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Lake Union Park in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood, and a Resource Center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. MOHAI also hosts the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region. MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is an official affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
To Apply (No phone calls, please): Please e-mail letter of interest, resume, and three references to: Human.Resources@mohai.org
MOHAI is a 501(C)3 Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility and building a diverse staff. We encourage candidates of color to apply.