Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to be our best, individually, and collectively. By collecting and preserving artifacts and stories of our diverse history, MOHAI highlights our regional tradition of innovation and imagination. Through compelling exhibits, scholarship, education, public programs, and community engagement, MOHAI bridges the past, present, and future. MOHAI is a place and a community of people with histories of successes and failures that: bind us together; amuse, disturb, and inspire us; inform and guide us; and deepen our connection with our heritage.
Position: Visitor Services & Sales Associate
Reports to: Director of Visitor Services, Visitor Services Assistant Manager and Mercantile Assistant Manager
Location: MOHAI, at Lake Union Park’s historic Armory building
Classification: Non-Exempt; Part-time (regularly scheduled 15-25 hours per week); Hourly
Schedule: Must be available flexible hours, including days, evenings, and weekends
Rate of Pay: $17/hour
Visitor Services & Sales Associates are responsible for greeting visitors with exceptional customer service, courtesy and professionalism, serving the public through friendly and accurate sales of admissions, memberships, and retail merchandise. Associates also serve where needed in galleries and museum common areas, helping to ensure a pleasant, positive visitor experience. They are a primary source of access and communication within MOHAI. This position is a member of the Finance and Operations Department.
• Work at the Admissions Desk, in the Museum Store, Exhibit Galleries and where needed in the museum.
• Handle phone calls, respond to questions, and receive museum visitors and administrative guests.
• Perform cashier duties for admissions, membership sales, and retail merchandise.
• Contribute to outstanding customer service by maintaining friendly and courteous interactions with members, visitors, and staff.
• Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
• Keep work areas, Admissions Desk, Museum Store and assigned Exhibit Galleries organized and tidy for visitor safety and enjoyment.
• Monitor galleries, answer questions for visitors, help to maintain the appearance of the galleries, which includes inspecting the art and/or exhibit objects, labels, and furnishings for signs of damage or theft.
• Assist with introducing groups of students/adults to the museum and support Security in monitoring visitor behavior in the galleries.
• Assist with tracking of MOHAI assets by properly receiving, storing, and organizing store inventory.
• Collaborate with Visitor Services Department leadership regarding overall customer care and operational support.
• As requested by other departments, gather information about visitors by collecting zip codes, survey questions, contact information on guest passes, etc.
• Attendance at company-sponsored events may be required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Previous cashiering experience in customer service, retail, concierge, hospitality, or equivalent field.
• Work effectively in a high-volume, high-energy environment.
• Must work well with members, visitors and staff, be dependable, punctual, friendly and authoritative, with the ability to communicate comfortably and clearly in written and oral formats.
• Able to monitor galleries, maintain security standards, and remain calm under pressure.
• Enjoy sharing information, managing data, and organizing merchandise.
• Attention to detail with accurate data entry skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook and Teams.
• Flexible schedule: Must be available days, evenings and weekends.
• Possess or willing to acquire CPR (including child and infant) and first Aid certification.
• Bilingual and multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
• Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
Find yourself checking a lot of these boxes but doubting whether you should apply? If you meet some of the requirements and you share MOHAI’s values and support our mission, we encourage you to apply. As part of our ongoing commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, we’re invested in building teams with a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, and experiences.
For 70 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Lake Union Park in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood and a Resource Center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. MOHAI also hosts the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region. MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is an official affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
To Apply: Please email letter of interest, resume, and three references to Human.Resources@mohai.org. No phone calls, please.
MOHAI is a 501(c)(3) organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team and an organizational culture that fosters inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We encourage candidates of color to apply.
MOHAI.org aims to support every possible visitor, but you may experience some technical difficulties.