Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to be our best, individually and collectively. By collecting and preserving artifacts and stories of our diverse history, MOHAI highlights our regional tradition of innovation and imagination. Through compelling exhibits, scholarship, education, public programs, and community engagement, MOHAI bridges the past, present, and future. MOHAI is a place and a community of people with histories of successes and failures that: bind us together; amuse, disturb, and inspire us; inform and guide us; and deepen our connection with our heritage.
Position Title: Museum Store Assistant Manager
Reports to: Manager of Visitor Services
Location: MOHAI, at Lake Union Park’s historic Armory building
Job Status / Hours: Non-exempt, Full-time, Hourly – Compensation DOE
Schedule: Generally 37.5 hours per week, flexibility required, including evenings and weekends
Benefits include: Medical and dental insurance and eligible for participation in 403 (b) savings plan
The Museum Store Assistant Manager is responsible for the daily operations of MOHAI’s retail store. The Museum Store Assistant Manager leads in providing excellent customer and visitor care in the store, purchases and manages product inventory, and produces regular reporting and analysis. Additionally, this position provides supervisory support to the Manager of Visitor Services and in the absence of the Manager of Visitor Services, is responsible for daily operations on the museum floor with the Visitor Services Assistant Manager. This position reports to the Manager of Visitor Services and is a member of the Finance and Operations Department.
- With the Manager of Visitor Services, Visitor Services Assistant Manager and Visitor Services & Sales Associates, work collaboratively to maintain a seamless, high quality visitor experience.
- Assist with the daily operations of the museum store, which includes providing exceptional customer service to visitors, accurate financial reporting, oversight of inventory, and staff supervision.
- Source and select merchandise that meets the mission, vision, and aesthetic of the Museum. Suggest and develop new custom products and maintain positive, professional vendor relationships with excellent communication. Attend local gift shows.
- Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- With Museum Store staff, keep visual merchandising fresh and interesting for museum members and returning visitors.
- Ensure Museum Store maintenance meets museum standards, receive inventory, track invoices, maintain the Daily Log, handle internal transfers and event-related ordering, remove and return damaged items or non-selling items.
- When necessary, train staff and volunteers on POS system, store policy, procedures, customer service and active selling techniques.
- Work on the sales floor as scheduled, assist customers, and resolve any customer service issues in a timely and professional manner.
- Monitor and maintain merchandise and supplies/equipment budgets and work closely with the Fiscal team.
- Report to Manager of Visitor Services on POS transactions and daily reconciliation, discounts, cash handling, refunds and other retail store financial information.
- Provide staff evaluation input to Manager of Visitor Services.
- Recommend and assist with annual sales goals and strategies, and work with staff and volunteers to realize these goals.
- Provide input to the Manager of Visitor Services on staff scheduling, and work collaboratively.
- Responsible for managing physical inventories on a monthly rolling basis as well as performing the annual physical inventory and related analysis.
- In the absence of the Manager of Visitor Services and the Visitor Services Assistant Manager, serve as the “Manager on Duty/Operations Point Person”, who is responsible for daily operations on the museum floor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum one year experience in retail management and two years in retail (three years total) including supervising staff, buying, merchandising, inventory control, customer service and sales training experience.
- Self-motivator with good judgment and strong focus on details. Ability to work successfully both independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to prioritize needs.
- Exceptional interpersonal, organizational, written and communication skills.
- Team oriented and goal-focused: organized, able to meet deadlines and work as part of a team.
- Experience working with a point-of-sale (POS) system, with the abilities to perform POS reconciliation.
- Willingness and ability to travel between museum locations occasionally as required.
- Excellent computer skills in Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds, stand for several hours, and stoop and kneel while stocking merchandise.
- Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks POS.
- Working knowledge of “Open to Buy” concepts.
For more than 60 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI now operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Lake Union Park in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood, and a Resource Center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. Last fall, MOHAI opened the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region. MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, and is an official affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
Please e-mail letter of interest, resume, and references to: Human.Resources@mohai.org
Position is open until filled.
MOHAI is a 501(C)3 Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer.