Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to be our best, individually and collectively. By collecting and preserving artifacts and stories of our diverse history, MOHAI highlights our regional tradition of innovation and imagination. Through compelling exhibits, scholarship, education, public programs, and community engagement, MOHAI bridges the past, present, and future. MOHAI is a place and a community of people with histories of successes and failures that: bind us together; amuse, disturb, and inspire us; inform and guide us; and deepen our connection with our heritage.
Position Title: Creative Services Director
Reports to: Chief Advancement Officer
Location: MOHAI Resource Center at Georgetown
Rate of Pay: $75,000 – $80,000 annually, DOE
Classification: Exempt, Salaried, Full-time
Benefits: Medical and dental insurance; eligible for participation in 403 (b) savings plan
The Creative Services Director is responsible for establishing the conceptual and stylistic direction for MOHAI’s visual and digital communications while maintaining a consistent look and feel across digital and print platforms. This position demonstrates a high level of creative talent with excellent design, typography, videography and project management skills. The Creative Services Director is a member of the Advancement department.
- Direct all aspects of the MOHAI brand, including logos, ads, fundraising collateral, publications, building signage, videos and digital assets (including website and social media platforms).
- Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- Support every department of the Museum in promoting programs, exhibits, fundraising, and special events within budget and deadlines according to institutional priorities.
- Develop and manage projects including schedule, concept, design, production, budget, bids, selection of vendors, proofs, edits, press checks, and delivery to ensure all materials meet the expectations, goals and aesthetic of the Museum.
- Manage and work with the Digital Media Specialist on creative direction of MOHAI website and digital communications.
- Manage and work with Senior Graphic Designer, volunteers, and vendors, including photographers, videographers, illustrators, pre-press technicians, printers, and others on design aspects of projects.
- Work with Exhibits team to develop visual identities for all temporary and traveling exhibits, to be used in promotional, educational, and advertising materials.
- Implement, update, and oversee MOHAI’s style and editorial guides.
- Stay current with design, typography, print, digital, and technology trends including software such as Adobe Creative Suite and coordinate services or upgrades as needed.
- Work with the Database and Research Specialist to produce metrics reports and benchmark effectiveness of social media platforms and website.
- Opportunity to serve on IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility) Committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Eight years of design and digital production experience, including three to four years as a senior designer or art director.
- Knowledge of graphic design, video editing, analytics, project management and social media marketing tools.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in design, or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Four years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent design ability with thorough knowledge of advertising, exhibition, and fundraising design in both print and digital platforms.
- Strong organizational, management, and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize, take direction as well as initiate, and able to work under deadlines.
- Technical proficiency to prepare files for printers and verify that they match vendor specifications.
- Ability to review proofs making necessary revisions until final product meets or exceeds quality standards and objectives.
- Proactive problem-solving proficiency.
- Adept at finessing working relationships with a wide variety of personality types.
- Understanding of hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, composition, and meaningful imagery.
- Thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and basic proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Bilingual and multilingual skills valued.
- Enthusiasm for MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
For nearly 80 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Lake Union Park in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood, and a Resource Center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. MOHAI also hosts the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region.
MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is an official affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
To Apply: Please e-mail letter of interest, resume, three references and either a link to your online portfolio, or a PDF of your portfolio to: Human.Resources@mohai.org. No phone calls, please.
MOHAI is a 501(C)3 Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility and building a diverse staff. We encourage candidates of color to apply