Museum Vision and Mission:
MOHAI is treasured locally and respected nationally as a vibrant resource where history inspires us to be our best, individually and collectively. By collecting and preserving artifacts and stories of our diverse history, MOHAI highlights our regional tradition of innovation and imagination. Through compelling exhibits, scholarship, education, public programs, and community engagement, MOHAI bridges the past, present, and future. MOHAI is a place and a community of people with histories of successes and failures that: bind us together; amuse, disturb, and inspire us; inform and guide us; and deepen our connection with our heritage.
Position Title: Art Director
Reports to: Director of Marketing and Communications
Location: MOHAI Resource Center at Georgetown
Classification: Exempt, Salaried, Full-time
Benefits include: Medical and dental insurance and eligible for participation in 403 (b) savings plan
The Art Director is responsible for establishing the conceptual and stylistic direction for MOHAI’s visual communications while maintaining a consistent look and feel across digital and print platforms. This position demonstrates a high level of creative talent with excellent design, typography, and project management skills. This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and is a member of the Marketing and Communications department.
- Direct all aspects of the MOHAI brand, including logos, ads, fundraising collateral, publications, building signage, and digital assets (including website and social media platforms).
- Support every department of the Museum in promoting programs, exhibits, and special events within budget and deadlines according to institutional priorities.
- Develop and manage projects including schedule, concept, design, production, budget, bids, selection of vendors, proofs, edits, press checks, and delivery to ensure all materials meet the expectations, goals and aesthetic of the Museum.
- Collaborate with Digital Media Specialist on creative direction of MOHAI website and digital communications.
- Work with Exhibits team to develop visual identities for all temporary and traveling exhibits, to be used in promotional, educational, and advertising materials.
- Manage and work with Graphic Design Associate, volunteers, and vendors, including photographers, illustrators, pre-press technicians, printers, and others on design aspects of projects.
- Implement, update, and oversee MOHAI’s style and editorial guides.
- Stay current with design, typography, print, digital, and technology trends including software such as Adobe Creative Suite and coordinate services or upgrades as needed.
- Ensure that all interactions are culturally responsive, respectful, and based on a foundation of MOHAI’s commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Eight years of design and production experience, including three to four years as a senior designer or art director.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in design, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent design ability with thorough knowledge of advertising, exhibition, and fundraising design in both print and digital platforms.
- Strong organizational, management, and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize, take direction as well as initiate, and able to work under deadlines.
- Technical proficiency to prepare files for printers and verify that they match vendor specifications.
- Ability to review proofs making necessary revisions until final product meets or exceeds quality standards and objectives.
- Proactive problem-solving proficiency.
- Adept at finessing working relationships with a wide variety of personality types.
- Understanding of hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, composition, and meaningful imagery.
- Thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and basic proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge about MOHAI’s exhibits, programs, and mission.
For more than 60 years, MOHAI has been dedicated to enriching lives by preserving, sharing, and teaching the diverse history of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the nation. With a collection of nearly 4 million artifacts, photographs, oral histories and archival items, and an expansive schedule of exhibits and programs, MOHAI is the region’s premier history center. MOHAI operates a dramatic and award-winning museum in Lake Union Park in Seattle’s vibrant South Lake Union neighborhood, and a Resource Center in Seattle’s Georgetown neighborhood. MOHAI also hosts the Bezos Center for Innovation, focusing on the history and future of innovation in the Puget Sound region.
MOHAI is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is an official affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution. For more information, please visit www.mohai.org.
Please e-mail letter of interest, resume, and three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
MOHAI is a 501(C)3 Organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer.